As I mentioned with Nikolai’s Tomten, I’m going full tilt to get school uniform things knitted for next year. The jacket is done, and now a vest too. I might round the wardrobe out with a pullover, but I’m not sure yet.
The Fishtrap Vest for Nikolai. Started: Thurs, Feb. 28th Finished: Mon, Mar. 3rd
Pattern: None. Measurements + growing room from his WCTPirates Sweater, and some EPS-esque logic.
Yarn: Knitpicks Telemark color Deep Navy 4.5 skeins / 225 gms.
Needles: US sz. 4 / 3.5 mm Gauge: about 5.5 sts/in
Size: Boy’s size 5-6. 32″ chest, 17″ from shoulder to hem
Poor guy is still sick sick sick. He likes this vest a lot (yay!!) so he humored me with a photoshoot before crashing for 2 hours – very uncharacteristic for my boy who hasn’t napped since before he turned 1.
Verdict: I’d never knit a pullover vest before, or a V-neck, so the design has a few things to improve. This turned out to be a perfectly serviceable and proportional garment, but next time I’ll make the armholes and V-neck deeper.
On the EPS-esque logic: I tried to apply percentages to various aspects of a vest, aspects not normally addressed in a sweater. I did the normal 8% underarms, but the other proportions were guesswork. Through the working of this vest I’ve come up with a set of percentages that work for me, and hopefully they’ll also work for the EPS knitting public. Vest-knitters: I’d love your input on this!
A note: None of the percentages reflect the ribbed borders which are added afterwards.
On to the spinning.
Getting all that lovely alpaca fleece has lit the proverbial fire under my a** and I’ve been spinning spinning spinning to clear out some bobbins to make room for the new stuff.