Minus a good wash and block, it’s done!
What a fun knit. Once you get everything joined it goes so fast. I’ve heard “like a house on fire” used to describe the knitting of this sweater and that pretty much sums it up.
Saturday afternoon at 2pm I cast on the second sleeve. At 12:30am I was finished with the knitting, and of course this includes time for playing with the kids, supper, bath, bedtime…
I finished up the rest this morning while the boys were out – grafting the underarms, tacking down the neck stitches, weaving in ends. This is what I love about Elizabeth Zimmermann’s sweaters. They look fantastic straight off the needles. The hems are such a classy finish, and the shaping fits wonderfully.
Project Specs: started August 3rd, 2007, finished August 19th, 2007
Needles: US sz 3 / 3.25 mm for hems. US sz 4 / 3.50 mm for all visible portions.
Size and Gauge: 5.31 stitches per inch. 168 sts around for a 31 inch finished chest. I took measurements from one of Nikolai’s favorite sweatshirts. You can imagine how gratifying this was.
Stuff: I did a lot of hemming and hawing about the sleeves. I first learned about EZ through Meg Swansen’s Knitting, in which she gives the upper arm EPS as 40%, but EZ’s original number was 33%. It took a ridiculously long time for me to reach a decision, but I eventually decided to go with 40% since kid knits and ease go so well together.
When you reach the sleeve join the pattern in Knitting Workshop directs you to knit one inch plain before you begin decreases. My guess was this was extra ease with the 33% sleeve, since I already had that ease I started the decreases directly after the join and it worked out great.
The epaulet and neck-back saddles I had to make considerably smaller than called for because I was running out of stitches too rapidly. I finished the neck at 45%.
Verdict: Nikolai loves it. I love it. And Gabriel needs one too.