…or, how not to knit a sweater…
I’ve been knitting away on the blue and gold cardi. I knit down to the bottom edge and tried it on before deciding on the next step. There turned out to be many next-steps.
Before slicing open the front I took out a chunk of neck to get a square neckline.
I put in a reverse life-line – the royal blue yarn – and 2 little crochet secured steeks – the black yarn. Then I snipped down the center and ravelled across to the crochet lines.
I actually went back and made the neck a bit wider but you get the general idea. Then crochet secured the fronts before slicing it open.
By crocheting through one leg of each color stitch both colors are secured.
Currently I’m adding a bottom border in garter stitch before I begin the considerable neck and front treatment. Oi.
I will never stek a sweater like this again. I was way too gung-ho to start this project and I didn’t plan it too well. I planned on making a square neck so I wouldn’t have to incorporate short-row shaping into the colorwork. Obviously it can be done the way I did it, but there must be better ways!
The best way to have done this would have been to cast on the steek sts only and then cast on the fronts in big balloons at the desired neck depth. Or it could have been done back and forth to the desired neck depth, but I’m not sure I can do colorwork from the wrong side. Hmm.
For now, it looks like arse, but I think it will all work out. And if it doesn’t, well then, it doesn’t. I’m not sure there’s enough gold yarn to the sleeves anyway. Guess I shoulda checked that before slicing up all my yarn.
Now incorporating my favorite technique… Knit and pray!