… Fishtrap is off the needles.
For those of you who don’t know- this is the January Fishtrap Aran by Elizabeth Zimmermann as published in Knitter’s Almanac. I have made a seamless Saddle Shoulder version using EZ’s instructions as published in Knitting Workshop. I’m knitting this for a friend’s husband.
It is by no means finished, but it is off the needles… for now. I’m having some difficulty with the neck back.
It’s like a turtle shell. Too tall, ridiculously flared, awkward, ugly, and needing adjustment.
The problem arises from making a sweter with way more stitches than EZ’s recipe intended- I didn’t do enough tweaking in my translation. EZ mentions making the Fishtrap as a Saddle Shoulder in Knitter’s Almanac, but she doesn’t give any further thoughts, like perhaps the ratio of pattern knitting to stockinette so I could stop fudging with the decreases to make the transition smooth from patterned body to plain neck. That’s what’s causing the flare… but the neck back is still way too tall.
I know it needs to happen, but (whine whine whine) I don’t want to rip this yet, because I’m pleased with so many other aspects. Like the fact that it’s off the needles.
And the mitered neck front.
And the awesome patterned saddles.
But this neck thing just needs to go. I know this will fit differently on it’s much larger and musclier recipient… but I’d like to get this right!
EZ might tell me “it’ll block out” but this yarn was chosen for it’s Superwash capability- after delivery, this sweater will never be blocked again, it will get taken out the dryer and worn. So that option’s out.
I’m planning on adding a hem to the neck, so perhaps it would pull it in sufficiently. But… it might make the neck too tight!
It’s taking a time out right now. Please please please send advice!!!!!