Cobblestone is done!! WooHoo!! can you tell I’m excited? Check the neat garter stitch underarms-
Started: August 20, 2007 Finished: aside from blocking August 27, 2007
Yarn: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes, 10 skeins Amber Heather
Needles: US sz. 6 / 4 mm Gauge: 5 sts per inch over stockinette yielding a 35″ finished chest measurement.
Modifications: I shortened everything to fit. It took a bit of figureing on the yoke to calculate out the proportions between decreases and make them fit me. The original had a 10″ yoke and I only wanted an 8″ yoke. Looking back I don’t think it was necessary to be that painstaking with the ratios, because the garter stitch handles the shaping so well.
I am a lazy knitter so all the garter stitch was done back and forth. Instead of sewing a seam up the yoke I decided a placket and some nice buttons would add a [somewhat] feminine touch. Unfortunately, halfway through the yoke I decided against a stocking stitch buttonband and decided to go for garter stitch with applied I-cord border and buttonholes. I had to drop 4 stitches and hook them all back up in garter stitch. It was a nightmare and it looks terrible. Every stitch needs to be hand adjusted. I will never do that again.
Oh well. In the end I didn’t do applied I-cord buttonholes either. Instead, I [in my infinte wisdom] sat and tried every conceiveable method of adding a buttonband. My goal was to knit on a band that looked like the rolled neck. Not difficult you say… and yet it took me 7 tries.
Oh well. I got it eventually. And that my friends, is how we know I’m a Knitter.
Yep, still grinning like an idiot!
Verdict: If you haven’t figured it out by now… I love it. This is the first sweater I’ve ever completed for myself. It’s comfy, it’s cozy, the fit is divine… and best of all… it’s done!
Now off to the washtub with it- Knittiversary giveaway post as soon as it’s dry!