Whitby is finally finished. There is one bad pic over on Flickr but I don’t really want to show too much until they’ve been gifted. What did you knit for your mother this year?
The other FO is rather excited about is my new scrap-yarn Sherbert Shorties- a perfect ballet garment. These are named for Becky who observed that Miss Lindsay’s princess dress looked like sherbert. And I have a thing for alliterative titles.
They were based on Elizabeth Zimmermann’s formula for adult longies. I haven’t unveiled them until now because I knew I would be knitting them at least twice. First knit, straight by EZ’s word. Then, with all modifications as I saw fit. I can honestly say I am thrilled with how these turned out. And I’m rather hyper-critical of my own work, if you hadn’t noticed. Anyway. So this is all (I had 2 inches after binding off) the leftover yarn from the Princess Dress. Acrylic for washability. Varigated for fun! I will probably have the brightest bum in the ballet studio.
They follow the same basic principle as EZ’s longies. My modifications were primarily in shaping. My stitch counts came straight from measurements and gauge – calculating a 10% negative ease everywhere. In EZ’s written instructions she has you putting short-rows in at the waist back, after all the hip to waist decreasing. Well…. anatomically…. I (and the rest of the world) need some bum shaping right above the leg join. So that’s where I put it. You can see the lines made by the short-rows in the picture above. I didn’t need any other short-row shaping after this.
And again…. anatomically…. I decrease in size from hip to waist neither at the sides, nor front and back…. This may be harder to see in the pic, but the decreases form a V starting center front and back and moving out 1 stitch per decrease. I did SSK then K2tog so the decreases wouldn’t form an obvious line. This turned out fantastic since the spread-out decreases don’t pull the fabric down anywhere.
The other addition I made was a short-row gusset at the leg join. It looks really funny in the pictures… but necessary for ballet. All in all, I’m very happy with these. I used up 2 odd balls of leftovers, stimulated my brain to redesign something, and got something useful, cozy, and fabulous! And I’m rather tickled they only took 2 tries.